There are Gold Nuggets everywhere, I will find them and post them.

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Time to move

I have moved quite a few times in my life. I have moved from Bolivia to Miami and from Miami to Wisconsin. In Wisconsin I probably moved about 6 or 7 times. I am familiar with moving and all the things required. I will talk about something that happened when we moved from Miami to Wisconsin.

Aight, I'm about 11 or 12 at this point. It sucks that we're moving from Miami, but pops gotta a job so the fam must move. I loved Miami, so much to do, so many nice beaches and things to do all year round, unlike Wisconsin when it gets to be those 30 below days that you can't do shit but bundle up with a blanket and watch a movie from the collection (it's usually one of the God Father's or Goodfellas). Back to the story. We're packing the stuff, and the my dad (who's CDL certified) pulls the rig to the curb so we can start loading all our stuff. We lived in an apartment complex so my dad parked the rig in front of the building. As we're loading the stuff, our neighbor, what we thought was a nice Cuban, starts yelling.
"Hey main (he's trying to say man, if your Hispanic you know what I'm talking about with their accents) que pasa chico."
Dad "What's the problem"
Cuban "Jur trok is blocking mi ventana"
Dad "so, we're moving, what do u want me to do, move your truck so you can look out the window?"
Cuban "claro chico, tass right"
Dad "we'll move it when we're done"
Cuban "putanga main dee trok is too big"
At this point my dad gets pissed cuz he's starting to swear, and if you know my dad any bad word said in his direction is fightin words. The following conversation was in spanish but I'll translate for our anglo friends and others that don't know spanish.
Dad "Listen to me, you say one more word to me and I'll beat you all the way back to Cuba"
Cuban "why" (who the fuck says why after that person was threatened)
Dad "you don't swear at me and keep talkin, if you swear at me I'll make sure you can't open your mouth again to swear at me"
Cuban "calm down my friend, it's OK" (do you see the reversal, he started tough, now he's down to nothing)
Dad "leave us alone now, you got it?
Cuban "ok, sorry I won't bother you guys again (this was the clincher) and take your time"
Again, I'm either 11 or 12 and I started laughing cuz this cuban guy just got punked by my dad.
At that time I respected and feared my dad. I respected him cuz he didn't back down, and let me tell you, this guy was really big, he was about 6'6" and muscular and my dad is 5'9" and stocky. I feared my dad in the sense that from that point on I knew if I really talked back to my dad or didn't listen to him I could seriously get my ass beat.
After the cuban left, my dad looked at me and winked at me. I took that to mean "how u like me now."
Props to my pops. Any stories out there when you realized whether you dad was as tough as you though he was?

2 Comments:

Blogger chardrian said...

Mi papi is 5 inches shorter than I am but he's the one who gave me my build. That's right the only guy who we can outmuscle is Mr. Burns. We are lovers not fighters. Being as honky as we are for Hispanics, my dad probably woulda just pretended he didn't speak spanish. I too have found the yo no sabo espanol line works very well in certain circumstances. Then again speaking spanish to a group of people who see you as Sr. Honky also has its advantages.

1:58 PM

 
Blogger Gold Nugget said...

I had a somewhat similar incident when i was playing with my dad. i was punching his arm and he was doing the same, i got him pretty good on the shoulder and when he threw the punch aimed at my shoulder i raised my arm, then his punch sliped from my shoulder to my chin, my knees buckeled and that was the end of that

5:52 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home