There are Gold Nuggets everywhere, I will find them and post them.

Monday, September 12, 2005

"The Man" did it to me again.

It's been a while since something like this happened to me.

Two weeks ago my wife and I decided to sell our baby's clothes. I went to a place called "once upon a child." They buy and sell used kids clothes. We figured we'd get good money considering we had a lot of it, most of it was in really good shape and most of the clothes was name brand clothing. I went there dressed as follows (I mention this because I'm covering my bases as to what set it off): I had a yellow Ralph Lauren T-shirt Ralph Lauren Cargo pants and Diesel shoes.

I go the store and tell the lady, very politely "Miss (the bitch was fat and older), I would like to sell these clothes." From this point on she will be known as the Fat Bitch, or FB for short.
FB "sure, name, number and I'll let you know in 20 minutes."
me "OK, thank you and see you in 20 minutes."

I walk around a bit go outside go to Blockbuster and check out the new releases. 20 minutes pass and I go back to the place.

Me "Miss, are the clothes ready?"
FB "yes, this is how much we'll give you for the clothes" Shows me a ticket for $1.50.
me "$1.50 for all that? I think I'll just take it back."
FB "OK, but just so you know we were only going to buy these two items." She shows me two items of clothing that still had the tags on them, they were brand new.
me "oh, well, like I said I think I'll just take the clothes back."
FB gives me a weird look and says "ok."

I don't think too much about it, just surprised we didn't get more. I go back home and tell the wife. She is also very surprised and jokingly says "well maybe they didn't take it because you're Hispanic." At that moment I think and say, ala Jerry Seinfeld to Newman "Fat Bitch."

It's time to think what to do. We decided that my wife would take clothes this weekend and see what happens. Maybe out clothes is not as nice as I thought they were. We decided on my wife taking it for two reasons. See if the Fat Bitch denies her and many have said that my wife looks more Italian than Hispanic. So we decided to test it this weekend past.

I dropped my wife off at the front, just in case the Fat Bitch remembered. She goes in drops off the clothes and we leave. We come back in 20 minutes and we both go inside. The FB is not there, instead it's two young girls. They comment on how beautiful our daughters are and tell us that they're Buying almost all of it and giving us good money for it too.

Apparently the process is that the employee's call in to their regional office and then they tell them what to buy. I think the FB never called it in. I think she saw me and automatically decided not to buy it.

We leave the place, and at this point I'm pissed. I feel like beating up the next white guy that passes by. Now don't say shit, I really wouldn't beat anybody up, but just saying how pissed I was.

Maybe I'm overreacting, Does anyone else think this is a sort of racism? Obviously a lot more went on but the fact is this. Lady sees me, doesn't buy clothes, Lady sees my wife and buys clothes. WHAT THE FUCK. I feel like suing the place, but who knows, maybe I should say something about it so I give them bad publicity.

Some people reading this may think that I'm just playing the race card. Maybe so, but if not racist motivation here then what. Or if I'm right and should do something let me know.

5 Comments:

Blogger * said...

I honestly don't know what to think. If it had been the same lady who bought the clothes from your wife, I might be more inclined to say that it was racist. But perhaps she's not only a FB, but also a lazy-ass FB? Or a racist lazy-ass FB.

I hate when that crap happens. With me, I'm never quite sure b/c different people read me as different. Some ppl think I look just white, some people think I look mixed, a few even think I look specifically asian. Of course, I've even gotten someone who thought I was a LAPLANDER (yes, that's the term they used). Of course, I also think I get stuff just cause I'm a fat chick.

4:13 AM

 
Blogger The Foxybrown Show said...

Ladies and Gents....The rumor has just been confirmed Foxybrown has been spotted entering the blogger site we are not sure what he has planned but there is only one way to find out.....GET FOXY!

5:07 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it may be a combination of factors which led to this unfortunate event. Although, I am almost certain that the primary reasoning behind FB's actions was the bright yellow shirt that you wore. Maybe she thought it symbolized some sort of gang related clothing, and therefore feared for her life. Okay, in all seriousness, yes, the man continues to get "us." Whether it's subtle or outright, these instances are always occurring and we have a lot of work to do.

7:06 PM

 
Blogger Gold Nugget said...

OH Brown sugar how i missed you. I think you're right, the fact that dark people tend to wear bright colored shirts, and becasue most dark people are in gangs, therefore FB analyzed it as such and concluded that I, most likely a gangmember, stole the clothes from some white lady who could afford said brand name clothing.
Thanks for shining the light were it's supposed to be. Holla sometime Brown Suga

5:46 AM

 
Blogger Deb said...

I actually have to say- there may be racism here. The order was never called in- no one went to approve it- she just automatically dismissed you.

I agree with you on this...

3:33 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home