There are Gold Nuggets everywhere, I will find them and post them.

Friday, September 30, 2005

Would somebody PLEASE hook a Brotha up?

I'll make is short and simple. What does a Brotha have to do around here to get in some good commercials. As most of you know I live in a small town in Wisconsin. I haven't been subjected to much racism, just a few occasions where my mind goes into overdrive and digs the prejudice minds of small town America.

There aren't many minorities around here. The biggest minority group here are the Hmong people, then followed by blacks and then Hispanics.

I don't have cable so all I watch is local T.V. I noticed something the other day. First, there are NO commercials that have Asians (putting Hmongs in a big category) or Hispanics in it.

The lucky ones to have spots on local commercials are my African American brethren. But are they lucky? There have been about 3-4 occasion where blacks were featured in the commercials. The funny thing is that they're always in commercials for "Are you strapped for money, can't pay the rent until next month? Well Here at Fast Money we can help you out"

Aint that about a bitch. Can you give a brotha a break? I thought they got a break when I saw a black couple in a clothing commercial. Finally, a minority gets to represent right? Wrong. The commercial was for the local goodwill stores. There's nothing wrong with Good will, other that it only sells used clothing, but why can't they get a spot for Sears or even JC Penny. I'm not even asking for a spot for Marshall Fields, or one of the Boston Store affiliates. All am asking is the get a spot where it's not assumed that a brotha or sista needs that extra cash because they don't make enough money, or that they're so strapped for cash that they only shop at the local Good Will store. This commercial couldn't be father from the truth. A brotha may have a small house or apartment, and it may not be nice, but THEY ALWAYS dress nice because they always gotta look KRISPY.

Here's the other messed up thing. I have seen a commercial for a Mexican restaurant. This should tell you how white this town is. The Waiters and waitresses were white, even the two of the three cooks there was white. When I saw the commercial for the Restaurant, who do they show? The two white cooks and three fine white girls waitressing.

I thought for sure that Hispanics had a strong foothold in the waiter business, here white people managed to even take that away.

Here is a public announcement calling all Blacks, Asians, and Hispanics. Infiltrate every small town America. You know white girls love color. I say, in the wise words of King Richard the Third "If we can't kick them out, we'll breed them out." Maybe then we'll get to be in better commercials and be able to shop in finer clothing stores and always have money to pay the rent

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

can someone please hook up the goldnugget with some comments?? He's starvin people...

how u like me now?

- Yoni

10:28 PM

 
Blogger * said...

I was going to say that perhaps they are like me and are "Asian incognito" since some people can't tell I'm Asian (I get the gamut of comments about what I do or don't look like).

But then, if that's the case, I would think that the people casting did that on purpose.

Do you guys have the commercials with the suburbified black kids? there's been a series of them, but basically the kids look like they are mixed black/white. I think one of the commercials had them with a white mom in one and white grandpa in another. Of course, that begs the question where's daddy and why hasn't he shown up in these commercials. The kids, particularly the little one (from what I remember) are adorable, but I was wondering if this was their way of meeting the broadest audience possible. Then I thought it was starting a trend because another commercial had an older kid with a similar look.

3:51 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, here I go. Is it me or do white people always look so happy in commercials? They are always living in these big houses, with huge yards. And the weather is always great! Never a cloud in the sky. But everytime a minority is in a commercial, we're usually working in some diamond mine, with bad credit, in the pouring rain or desert heat...DAMN!

7:22 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home